6 Main Branches of Chemistry
Since chemistry is a very broad topic to study, people (most probably scientists) divided this into different branches. Here are the 6 main branches of chem..
1. Analytical chemistry- concerned with the separation, identification, and composition of materials.
Qualitative analysis vs. Quantitative analysis
Qualitative analysis involves our senses. If we say that a piece of paper is blue in color that is a qualitative analysis. Quantitative analysis on the other hand involves measurement. If we say that a solution is 30 % water that is a quantitative analysis.
2. Physical chemistry- involves the study of the physical characteristics of materials and the mechanisms of their reactions.
3. Organic chemistry - study of substances containing carbon.
- the chemistry of carbon compounds
4. Inorganic chemistry- study of other substances not containing carbon
- the chemistry of materials other than those classified as organic.
5. Biochemistry- the chemistry involving living things
- the study of materials and processes that occur in living things
6. Nuclear chemistry- involves the study of subatomic particles and nuclear reactions